After listening to David Pawson’s Sermon ‘John 3:16’ over the past few days, I have finally finished it. It coincided on my recent trip to
David Pawson spends four hours picking apart one very known verse, John 3:16. He goes to say that the Gospel of John is about what Jesus was; a story of a person, rather than his work. It is written for mature Christians and to believers to remind them to not believe ‘the wishy washy stuff’ around them. This contradicts the most common misconception of this verse. This verse is written to believers, not to unbelievers. It is abused when it is used as a tool of evangelism. It does not adequately tell people on how to respond to the Gospel. There is no word about repenting or baptism or the Holy Spirit. This is where it makes sense to me when Pawson said the people John is writing to has repented and has been baptized. This verse is to help them go on believing.
Pawson made a point of it not making too much sense that Jesus said John 3:16, but vs.16 was John commentating on verse 15; that Jesus stopped at vs.15, and John picked up at vs.16. Maybe John could see Christians drifting and had this deep burn in him to help his brothers and sisters stay on track. Take a notice the verb usage is vs.15 & 16:
15that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.
16"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
A few notes of mine goes as this:
*Vs. 16 would be repetitive if Jesus would have said it.
*The verb usage is different. Vs.15 is before Christ was crucified, as the verb usage in vs.16 is after the crucifixion (notice gave not give).
Later on he thoroughly explains the 4 main words for love in Greek.
Thelema which is parallel to the English word lust (please correct me if I’m wrong, as this part is coming from my memory. I was driving at this point in the sermon.)
Philos is parallel to the term friendship.
Eros is parallel to attraction, a chemical reaction out of your own control (and the closest to today’s ‘Worldly Love’).
Agape is closest to the English meaning ‘Care’, as if to care for someone, or to show someone you care.
In John
Something Pawson said that stuck out to me is ‘This is not a verse about loving everybody, but a verse about giving a way out.’ He followed this with bringing up a man name Marcion who lived around 144 A.D. His teachings were purely heretical. He rejected the the Old Testament and Yahweh, saying that the God of the Old Testament was not the same God as the God of the New Testament. He chose books of the Bible, and teachings he only wanted to believe. He called this ‘New Testament God’ a ‘Motherly God’. He also believed that there was not a Hell.
This struck me hearing about Marcion. I’ve come in contact with many Christians following his teachings over the past year, and had to stand up for truth in the name of Jesus and defend the truth against such teachings repeatedly in the last eleven months. It is frightening how many evangelical churches have slid into such teachings and is blinded from the full truth of Jesus Christ and the Cross. They are blinded by the multitude of grace that is found constantly in the Old Testament. I’m learning about more and more people believing and following such principals and faith who call themselves Christians. I had no clue there was a name to go with it.
It is scary, frustrating and wrong how we Christians just slide right off the track of truth. It shows me the importance of holding one another accountable in our struggles and unbelief. We need to be like John and have a deep burn when we see our brothers and sisters so easily drifting away. We all need to keep our eyes wide open, feasting on the whole entire Word, and staying saturated in prayer.
Again, these are just notes and a reflection on this (very good) sermon. I recommend listening to David Pawson’s sermon on John
May peace be with you.
5 comments:
hi i just found your blog I'm wondering where I can get that sermon you listened to. I love david pawson's teachings and would love to hear that one. Is it free or do you pay for it?
a friend of mine gave me the sermon on three CDR's as a gift three years ago. i'm trying to find it online as well. If you find the link, could you post it on here? I'll do the same.
Hi Stephanie,
Great Post on John 3:16. There are two sources for David Pawson books, audios and videos. The first is www.pawsonbooks.com the second is www.goodseed.org.
Hi Stephanie & Nallama:
You can get it from goodseed.org.
It is under "CDs" menu and then in the "Christian Issues" section.
It costs $15.00 plus $3.00 S&H
John
David Pawson’s recorded ministry is “managed” by Anchor Recordings in England. Through their website you can obtain information about his distributors worldwide. They also give free access to some of his sermons.
Most of his sermons are only available for purchase. I live an Australia and have found that the cost of recordings through his Australian distributor are very reasonable.
Over many years as a Christian I have grown increasingly discouraged by the increasing influence of false teaching in the church. David Pawson is one of the very few teachers that I have found who I believe is uncompromising with the truth.
I have no affiliation with Anchor Recordings or any other outlet of Pawson’s material. I am merely a disciple of Jesus who has been helped immensely by a very Godly teacher.
See:
http://www.davidpawson.com./anchor/anchor.nsf/dpawsonindex?openform
I think links to another of his sermons can be found here:
http://www.hebrewroots.com/node/391
http://www.hebrewroots.com/node/398
and also here (see end of list):
http://www.skyebiblechurch.net/Sermons.html
And a 10 part series on the book of revelation is here:
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=528
Hopefully these links are still working.
Post a Comment