Monday, April 20, 2009

Just like Africa.

This above was before.
And this below is three months later...

Every time i walk into our Community Garden i am amazed. Whether it's my 8am tending time where i get to spend time with my Lord, or if it's gathering kids to plant more seeds, or just taking a walk to check in on things, a new miracle is revealed to me. God's presence is among us there.

This evening as i took a visit out in our Garden, four teenage boys were gathering tools to work on their plot. Now these were the same four teenage boys who stole our plot's seedlings the day after they were planted, and planted them in their own plot. The problem was addressed to their parents and disciplinary actions were taken place. But instead of banning them from the garden, a friend of mine really pushed for them to stay. He wanted them to learn responsibility, and trusted that they would. He gave them grace and they were given a second chance.

Mohammed proudly showed me his freshly dug plot he did the evening before and told me of the stories of farming in Kenya. This kid has so much knowledge and motivation, and just loves growing food. When i told him about the fire pit that was about done, his face lit up and he replied with 'Yes! Like you sit out at night and tell stories and play drums. Just like Africa." My heart immediately warmed up.

As we walked over to where his friends were working he was telling me about all their lemons that they grew in Africa and about the goats eating their neighbor's food. He's glad we don't have goats. "This food wouldn't stand a chance."

As I stood there I watched these four boys, all varying in ages from 12 to 16 dig and flip over all the dirt in their two remaining plots, a feeling of love and thankfulness came upon me. It was 7pm and instead of getting into who knows what mischief, they were here, taking responsibility and laboring over a portion of crumbled dirt.

I just had to tell them how proud I was of them. When I did, Saed looked up at me and said "This is just the African way. This is how I survived there."

I am so thankful for this piece of land, for my neighbors and all their children. I'm thankful to have a piece of land given to us that provides discipline, love, motivation and community. I'm thankful for the miracles we are able to wittness here.

"The significance--and ultimately the quality--of the work we do is determined by our understanding of the story of which we are taking part." -Wendell Berry

No comments: