A month ago some friends gave us two very overgrown zucchinis from their back yard. When they handed them to Tim, they said the zucchinis had grown to large to really enjoy raw, or even sauteed. They recommended making them into quick breads.
I took about four hours one afternoon grating away at these massive vegetables and baking them into delicious eats. My goal was to make them into a number of sweet breads and freeze them. I did just that, baking them into plain zucchini breads of various sizes, then decided to venture out. I made a few loaves of Lemon Rosemary Zucchini Breads, which was really, well, heavenly. The sweetness was so light. The rosemary added a nice delicate touch...and mixed with that lemon...gurrrl! It turned out great. I was able to share a loaf with company that evening and i look forward to breaking out the other loaf very soon.
I then came across a Zucchini Basil Muffin recipe. I made these into mini muffins, which i'm not sure was the best idea. The size made it very convenient to just pop right in your mouth, followed by another...then another...then another...half were eaten as they were on the cooling rack by us Straders and our housemates. They were too irresistible! (Let me add cheese is involved!) It was a nice break from the sweet breads, and I plan to venture into this recipe once again this upcoming weekend. It's also great when you need to use up that end of the season basil that has been sitting out in your garden for a few weeks too long.
I unfortunately did not get photos, just memories and testaments of these wonderful little bites. I highly recommend going to the recipe page and making them for yourselves. No photo lives up to the taste of these wonders. You just have to try them.
No comments:
Post a Comment