Friday, February 1, 2013

Birth Story: Ina May Gaskin & The Farm Midwives NYC Screening

If anyone is somewhat involved in their birth community, they know who Ina May Gaskin is.  She is the "Wendell Berry of Birth".  She is the pioneer of bringing confidence back to women in a society obsessed with the latest machines.  Women are not machines, nor are they lemons.

“Remember this, for it is as true and true gets: Your body is not a lemon. You are not a machine. The Creator is not a careless mechanic. Human female bodies have the same potential to give birth well as aardvarks, lions, rhinoceri, elephants, moose, and water buffalo. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body.”

― Ina May Gaskin

The screening for NYC was at the IFC Center.  I chose the screening that had a Q&A with Directors Sara Lamm & Mary Wigmore, as well as with Ina May Gaskin.  It was so cool being in the same room as Ina, one of the women who's writings and birthing philosophies threw me right into the passion and beauty of birth.  She's a huge part of why I became a doula.  I know many other doulas that can say the same.



My flatmate, Kerri, is a doula as well.  We went to the screening together, followed with drinks at her old bar she worked at.  It was a very motivating night for sure.  Check out the website for the film to check out if there will be a screening near you.


2 comments:

Miller Family said...

This is so awesome! Wow, what a special opportunity.

melissa Scott-Ticknor said...

That is great! I missed the screening in Columbus. i hope to see it in the future